Re: driver development tool

Albert Cahalan (albert@ccs.neu.edu)
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 16:28:29 -0500 (EST)

From: Ingo Molnar <mingo@pc5829.hil.siemens.at>

>> If you want a board, all you need to do is:
>> Request it.
>> Wait for the design.
>> Pay for the PCB & misc. parts (about $200 I guess)
>> Get some RAM.
>> Solder the board.
>
> have you got a public PGP key?

Sorry. There are several points at which my typing and PGP data
could be snooped. I'd rather do without than risk someone sending
PGP-signed email with my name.

What I am doing is gathering a list of interested driver developers.
I send the names to the hardware designer, who will produce the
design and PCB. I'm not sure how many boards would be required to
start the design, but I think the designer wants about 10. Right
now there are about 6 maybe, including the designer himself. That
might change to 7 if I can find someone here to help me solder.

For those with no moral values, this board can watch dongles too...

> btw, without really knowing the hardware part: is it possible
> that i dont have to do the soldering? Sure i would pay for the
> extra work. Couldnt it be done just by plugging it into a free
> slot? Sorry if the question is too naive :),

I will ask the developer if he would solder a few boards.
I have no idea how much $ surface-mount soldering is worth.

There is a small chance that normal soldering can be used.
If so, you can do this if you can solder a Pentium.
I'd give myself a 1 in 3 chance of success in that case.