2.0.25 is easy to compile :-)

Albert Cahalan (albert@ccs.neu.edu)
Sun, 10 Nov 1996 20:55:47 -0500 (EST)

From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse@fmp.com>

> As I said before, I receive the following errors when trying to compile
> kernel 2.0.25 (no APM support):
>
>> {standard input}:768: Error: no such 386 instruction: `rdmsr'
>> {standard input}:770: Error: no such 386 instruction: `wrmsr'
>> make[1]: *** [time.o] Error 1
>
> At the suggestion of several people who wrote me, I upgraded my binutils to
> 2.7.0.3 which made no difference in the problem. as reports:
>
> gat:~> as --version
> GNU assembler version 2.7 (i486-unknown-linux), using BFD version 2.7.0.3

Mine reports that too, and I had no trouble. (no APM either)

> I also tried upgrading my gcc from 2.7.2 to 2.7.2.1 as was suggested (using
> the bin file from ftp://sunsite/unc.edu/pub/Linux/GCC), but it was a
> disaster! gcc quit on the first file with the following complaints:
>
>> gateway:/usr/src/linux# make zImage
>> gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.0.25/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
>> -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strength-reduce -pipe -m486 -DCPU=486 -c -o
>> init/main.o init/main.c
>> stdin:1: numeric constant with no digits
>> stdin:1: numeric constant with no digits
>> stdin:1: invalid #line
>> stdin:13: numeric constant with no digits
>> stdin:13: numeric constant with no digits
>> stdin:13: invalid #line
>> stdin:65: parse error at null character
>> stdin:65: virtual memory exhausted
>> cpp: output pipe has been closed
>> make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1

That was a messed up upgrade. Be sure to remove all traces of
your old gcc before you install the new one. I know they are
supposed to coexist, but they do not. You may have a /bin/sh
script called cpp that looks for cpp and gets the wrong one.

I am using gcc 2.7.2.1 with no problems.