Re: For Jacques Gelinas

JF Martinez (jfm@sidney.remcomp.fr)
Sat, 28 Sep 1996 22:19:21 +0200

Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 08:09:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jacques Gelinas <jack@solucorp.qc.ca>

On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, JF Martinez wrote:

> Sorry For the waste of bandwidth but it seems solucorp mailer is broken
> and my mail is bouncing on it. Same thing than two months ago.

Solucorp mailer is certainly not broken. I receive around 100 message a
day, every day. I would be happy to see the error message you are getting.

It says unbalanced '<'. First time I thank of having mistyped but I
typed and retyped and continued bouncing. Happened after a first mail
exchange between us around when 2.0 was released. I have no special
rules with solucorp or Canada. My ISP tells me he has nothing either.
I tried to mail to postmaster@solucorp.qc.ca but it bounced. Perhaps
it is you who has a special rule for incoming mail from France.

About 2.0, I don't think any of the 2.1 features has made into it. There
were bugs and some bugs required more than a simple fix. There is also
market pressure. For example, we may very well see the anti SYN-attack
feature getting in.

> I also tested LinuxConf on RedHat great but:
>
> 1) I really like the way RedHat configures what has to start at boot
> because it involves no file modification only file insertions and
> deletions and that is a lot safer than editing files. And I like
> their tool for this.

Linuxconf is much more advanced than that. It start what is needed. If you
configure NFS (/etc/exports) either via linuxconf or via any editor,
linuxconf knows that the rpc.mountd and rpc.nfsd have to be start. It
knows this without rebooting. Just getting in and quitting linuxconf will

With script base setup like any unix, you have to know this before hand.
The user have to know

-how to configure something
-How to configure its startup.

Linuxconf provide an interface for the first and take care of the later

I said Linuxconf was great! What I like in the RedHat way is the fact
it does not involve any file modification only deletions and creations
That is a lot less dangerous and cleaner than file modification.

> 2) And more annoying it let me on US keyboard and I saw no choice to
> revert to the french one.

This is a bug then. I will add support for configuring this.

Thanks.

> 3) I saw no clear way (and had no time) to make an RPM of it.

Doing an RPM is not easy. I have started to study this though.

Jacques Gelinas (jacques@solucorp.qc.ca)
Linuxconf: The ultimate administration system for Linux.
see http://www.solucorp.qc.ca:/linuxconf

I will try but I don't hope to be able to do this before end of october.

--

Jean Francois Martinez