Re: EXT2-fs warning messages

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Fri, 27 Sep 1996 14:20:40 -0400

From: ramneek@zeus.ddms.sc.ti.com (Ramneek S Randhawa)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 23:38:32 -0500 (CDT)

3. When I mount the new file system of 2.1GB I get the following warning
messages

EXT2-fs warning (device 03:04): ext2_free_blocks: bit already
cleared for block 358400...
EXT2-fs error (device 08:01): ext2_new_block: Free blocks count
corrupted for block group 58

Note that these errors are occurring on two different devices. Device
03:04 is /dev/hda4. Device 08:01 is /dev/sda1.

4. I ran e2fsck on the partition but still get these errors

What errors, if any, did e2fsck report?

I'm very suspicious of a hardware problem; it could be disk problem, but
given that Linux reported the bug on more than one device, a memory bug
seems likely; another potential problem is some kind of wierd DMA
problem. Does your Adaptec card have a self-test where it tests your
system's DMA capability?

One explanation is that the DMA is screwing up, and thus tromping on
some other buffer in the buffer cache. That would explain why the ext2
filesystem is detecting problems on more than one filesystem on two
completely separate devices.

- Ted