Re: Fix for AHA152x on pre-2.1.0 (Re: test version of 2.1.0 available)

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi)
Wed, 25 Sep 1996 15:13:38 +0300 (EET DST)

On Wed, 25 Sep 1996, Joerg Pommnitz wrote:

> Linus,
> the enclosed patch fixes the AHA152x driver to work with your pre-2.1.0 patch.
> The machine I tested it on is an IBM ThinkPad 755CX with the DockingStation II
> SCSI adapter.

Thanks. The patch probably fixes it on x86, but it's still the wrong thing to
do (you really _have_ to use readb/writeb to be portable, because accessing
IO memory is not just a matter of getting the right address, on some
architectures you have to do special IO cycles or coherency stuff instead of
just a pointer dereference).

> And: pre-2.1.0 survived 9 hours crashme.

Ok, good to know that I didn't do anything overly stupid with the system call
entry point optimization etc.. Btw, has anybody tested whether "dosemu" still
works in pre-2.1.0?

Anyway, wrt the aha152x driver: could you try the _newest_ pre-patch
(currently #4) to see if the aha152x driver works with my version of your fix
too? I've written the code to do it portably, but I obviously cannot test if
it actually works..

Linus