Re: tcp strangness

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Thu, 19 Sep 1996 05:57:52 +0100

In linux.dev.kernel, article <199609181100.NAA15242@hera.cuci.nl>,
srb@cuci.nl (Stephen R. van den Berg) writes:

> Indeed. So do several other daemons. This bug has been introduced
> around 1.3.60 or so. I've been meaning to track it down, but didn't
> have time to do so yet. In any case, SO_REUSEADDR doesn't work
> on Linux.

??? A quick test (i.e., killing and restarting inetd while telnetting in
from another system) shows that the telnet listening socket is opened
immediately. This wouldn't work if inetd wouldn't use SO_REUSEADDR.
Which it does.

Do you have a test case?

--
Let's get together on this - I'm assuming you are as confused as I am
                                -- Glossary of important business terms