Re: some question about the patches

Rob McKee (rot@imcom.com)
Sat, 7 Sep 1996 02:47:41 -0700

> cd /usr/src/linux
> chmod u+x scripts/patch-kernel
> scripts/patch-kernel . /path/to/patches/
Current kernel version is 2.0.4
Applying patch-2.0.5.gz...done.
Applying patch-2.0.6.gz...done.
Applying patch-2.0.7.gz...done.
Applying patch-2.0.8.gz...done.
Applying patch-2.0.9.gz...done.
Applying patch-2.0.10.gz...done.
> make menuconfig ; make clean && make dep && make modules && make
modules_install && make zlilo

[...] And go make a pot of tea while the compiler churns away and drink it,
or read your backlog of kernel list email or pet your cat. [...]

----- OR ------

# cd /home/ftp/pub/linux/kernel
# ncftp ftp://imcom.com:/pub/linux/kernel/getlatestpatch.sh .
# chmod 700 getlatestpatch.sh
# ln -s getlatestpatch.sh /usr/local/sbin/LkernelPatch
# echo '#!/bin/bash' >> /usr/local/sbin/makekernel
# echo 'cd /usr/src/linux; make menuconfig ; make clean && make dep && make
modules && make modules_install && make zlilo
' > /usr/local/sbin/makekernel
# chmod 700 /usr/local/sbin/makekernel
# crontab -e
# # add --> 08 5,17 * * * /usr/local/sbin/LkernelPatch &> /dev/null
<-- to the crontab
# #
# # LkernelPatch will check every morning and afternoon and if it finds a
new patch, it'll get the patch and install it for you.
# # LkernelPatch is configurable (It's a bash script)
# # in fact you probably want to change the patch file locations and maybe
the email address

# # when you read your email you'll see if you have gotten a new kernel
or not and then you can run:
# makekernel

and alway's have the latest source (I'm running kernel 2.0.0)! I have a
2.0.18 (current at this time) vmlinuz ready to for booting
and I'll boot to it when I think the kernel is stable enough (I'm running
2.0.18 on 2 other machines for testing)