Re: Linux 2.1.x?

Jauder Ho (jauderho@umich.edu)
Tue, 3 Sep 1996 09:37:33 -0400 (EDT)

I just have my machine crash with no warning overnight.... I woke
up to find that my monitor was dead in the water. I could not see
anything. so I had to cross my fingers and hit the reset button
blindly....

when 2.0.17 came back up it died in the fsck section with the cryptic
error message that went something like

Kernel panic: Buffer in candidate list with BADNESS

seems like it is coming from fs/buffer.c

fs/buffer.c:
if (BADNESS(bh)) panic("Buffer in candidate list with BADNESS != 0\n");

I am now back on 2.0.8 as I deleted 2.0.16 already.
Damn.....

--Jauder

On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, Richard G. Roberto wrote:
> >
> > Looks good from my house! I was getting GPFs out the wazoo
> > using ftape until p17.
>
> Good.
>
> > By the way, I don't know exactly
> > when, but I'm no longer getting randum oopses of the "Unable
> > to service virtual page request" variety either.
>
> Ok, this _may_ have been the bug with the kernel wait queues that was fixed
> in .15 (and that then resulted in the other problems showing up). I certainly
> hope that .17 is stable again (despite one report of problems with ppp -
> maybe module recompile time).
>
> > One of
> > these days I'd like to know how to trouble shoot this stuff.
> > Is there a kit with proper utils (ksymoops, etc) and a
> > how-to?
>
> There are a few files in linux/Documentation about this: BUG-HUNTING,
> oops-tracing.txt. They by no means teach you to find the bugs, but they
> might be helpful if you have a vague idea about it from before and just
> want to get some ideas.
>
> Linus

.sig under construction