Re: Linux 2.1.x?

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi)
Tue, 3 Sep 1996 09:16:29 +0300 (EET DST)

On Tue, 3 Sep 1996, Richard G. Roberto wrote:

> Looks good from my house! I was getting GPFs out the wazoo
> using ftape until p17.

Good.

> By the way, I don't know exactly
> when, but I'm no longer getting randum oopses of the "Unable
> to service virtual page request" variety either.

Ok, this _may_ have been the bug with the kernel wait queues that was fixed
in .15 (and that then resulted in the other problems showing up). I certainly
hope that .17 is stable again (despite one report of problems with ppp -
maybe module recompile time).

> One of
> these days I'd like to know how to trouble shoot this stuff.
> Is there a kit with proper utils (ksymoops, etc) and a
> how-to?

There are a few files in linux/Documentation about this: BUG-HUNTING,
oops-tracing.txt. They by no means teach you to find the bugs, but they
might be helpful if you have a vague idea about it from before and just
want to get some ideas.

Linus