Re: Q: swap usage

Sun, 1 Sep 1996 18:28:09 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 1 Sep 1996, Herbert Rosmanith wrote:

> > after 8 minutes uptime I get the following:
> > total used free shared buffers cached
> > Mem: 95568 94132 1436 17516 62824 9420
> > -/+ buffers: 21888 73680
> > Swap: 40940 176 40764
> > hm, why is the system swapping at all in this case ?
>
> kernel-2.0.16, sorry I forgot

It's swaping because it either run out of memory (but the process that
used it has gone), or the kswapd is being pre-emptive about swaping out (I
think it pre-emptive anyway (ie make a copy of some older pages in swap,
when the device isn't busy), just that it gets things to a state where the
page is in memory, and on swap so swaping out just involves saying the
memory is free). It's not going to swap pages back in just because there
is memory free, it'll wait into something asks for the page back.

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :( and I don't care ;)      |            initiated.