Re: interrupt counts

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Thu, 22 Aug 1996 21:11:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 19 Aug 1996, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Aug 1996, Matti E Aarnio wrote:
(clip)
> > HOWEVER, I might want to have it as a configuration option.
> > At low-level 386/25 (my home machine) I am entirely happy
> > with 32-bit counters.
> >
> > bool 'Do you want unwrappable (64 bit) network counters ?' \
> > CONFIG_LONG_NETWORK_COUNTERS
>
> I dont know how much handling 64bit instead of 32 bit decereases
> performance, but this is definately an option.

This seems a little excessive to me. On my 486-33 (DX) I can
increment a long long or a short ten million times with a time
difference of only about 1.25 seconds, total time is 5 - 6
seconds. (This is with the 8k cache). Note this is also with
no optimization.

So if you lose 1.25 seconds in the week or so that the counter
flips over on a 386...

__kmb203@psu.edu_______________Debian/GNU__1.1___Linux__2.0.12___
Pascal, n.: A programming language named after a man who would
turn over in his grave if he knew about it.