Re: interrupt counts

Matti E Aarnio (mea@mea.cc.utu.fi)
Mon, 19 Aug 1996 12:11:12 +0300 (EET DST)

[ while talking about counters that wrap too soon.. ]

Mikael Abrahamsson replies:
> Matti E Aarnio wrote:
> > HOWEVER, I might want to have it as a configuration option.
> > At low-level 386/25 (my home machine) I am entirely happy
> > with 32-bit counters.
> >
> > bool 'Do you want unwrappable (64 bit) network counters ?' \
> > CONFIG_LONG_NETWORK_COUNTERS
>
> I dont know how much handling 64bit instead of 32 bit decereases
> performance, but this is definately an option.

If you look deep down, at 32-bit machines it will take
twice as much work as native size counter handling does.
At Alphas I would use 64-bit longs anyway :-)

/Matti Aarnio <mea@utu.fi>