Re: Linux vm parameters

Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@dcs.ed.ac.uk)
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 19:19:03 +0100

Hi,

In article
<Pine.LNX.3.91.960807133029.4793A-100000@davids.wiznet.net>, David
Schwartz <davids@wiznet.net> writes:

> I think it would be nice if Linux had a few tunable parameters to
> allow people to adjust how memory is handled. Settings to control how
> agressively Linux swaps and how much free memory is kept would, I think,
> be valuable for people who like to fine-tune their memory-management.

Check out /proc/sys/vm. It's full of that kind of mm tuning
parameters.

> Consider a system that sits idle most of the time but
> occasionally is hit by huge bursts of network traffic but does little to
> no disk access. This system would prefer to keep more free pages for
> atomic allocation.

echo 300 400 500 > /proc/sys/vm/freepages

> We have a very nice /proc interface for setting these parameters.
> Where are they?

In /proc/sys. Hey, I might even get around to documenting them some
day. :)

Cheers,
Stephen.

--
Stephen Tweedie <sct@dcs.ed.ac.uk>
Department of Computer Science, Edinburgh University, Scotland.