Re: swap problems

mlord (mlord@pobox.com)
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 19:02:54 -0400

Jon Lewis wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> > > Using 2.0.3, I just got a bunch of these:
> > >
> > > swap_duplicate: trying to duplicate unused page
> > > swap_free: swap-space map bad (entry 00000100)
> >
> > Both of the above _look_ like a one-bit error (it's probably an empty
> I'd rather think it's not the hardware. This was on a P90 that's been in
> service over a year. It's never exhibited cache problems before. The
> RAM has been upgraded several times...but last time was months ago. It's
> got the Neptune chipset and one CPU. I've upgraded it to 2.0.10.

Most boards using the Neptune chipset also use the cmd640 IDE chip.
Does yours? ("cat /proc/pci" to find out).

Are you running with, or without, cmd640 kernel support?
Are you using "hda=serialize" ?
Do you have more than one drive?
Do you use a floppy drive (other than once a year)?

-ml
the Linux IDE guy