Re: Faster depend written in Perl

Rob Riggs (rriggs@tesser.com)
Sat, 27 Jul 1996 18:40:39 -0600 (MDT)

On 27-Jul-96 G Sumner Hayes wrote:
>>quinlan@charcoal.eg.bucknell.edu (Daniel Quinlan) writes:
>>
>> Defaulting to the perl version is probably better since most people
>> don't have mawk.
>
>The traditional answer to this has been that not all Linux boxes have
>perl, but all have awk. So we can't require perl to build the kernel.
>
>I don't know how valid this argument is these days, though.
>
>TTFN,
>
>Sumner

it's a rather stupid argument, since it's easy enough to
test whether /usr/bin/perl exists and to set DEPEND
accordingly.

ADEPEND = $(AWK) -f $(TOPDIR)/scripts/depend.awk
PDEPEND = perl $(TOPDIR)/scripts/depend.pl

DEPEND := $(shell if [ -x /usr/bin/perl ]; then echo $(PDEPEND); \
else echo $(ADEPEND); fi)

Of course we should either set PERL = /usr/bin/perl or
make the test 'if [ -x `which perl` ]'.

Rob
(rriggs@tesser.com)