Re: anonymous shared mmap. Where?

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi)
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 10:34:40 +0300 (EET DST)

On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, A.N.Kuznetsov wrote:

> Unpleasant discovery, 2.0 has no shared anonymous mmap ???
> I do not believe to my eyes...
>
> Please, do not tell me that this feature is for 2.1,
> I'd like to see it in 2.0.9.

It's definitely 2.1, if even that. Shared anonymous mmap is a monstrosity
(even the name is a oxymoron), and it's hard to implement to boot.

Use SysV shared memory - it's _also_ a monstrosity (and hard to implement,
but that part has been done already), but at least it has made a _try_ at
making sense from a semantic viewpoint. I'd like to avoid shared anonymous
mmap altogether, although with the current page cache it is at least possible
to do sanely in theory.

Linus