Re: magic file entry to understand core dumps

Thu, 25 Jul 1996 23:30:04 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 25 Jul 1996, Johnie Stafford wrote:

> st> swen@hobbiton </tmp>: file core
> st> core: ELF 32-bit LSB core file of 'coretest' (signal 8), Intel 80386, version 1, stripped
> st> swen@hobbiton </tmp>: file -v
> st> file-3.19
>
> Great, now if I could just figure out how to enable core dumps on my
> machine, I'll be set.
>
> Johnie

Look at ulimit, it's a bash builtin, so man bash, search for ulimit (I'm
assuming loads of stuff, like bash is your shell ... ;)

Just to get you going, a 'ulimit -c umlimited' will dump everything that
the programs going to (I got a 10Mb core of the quake networking test
when it SEGV'd on me with that, so watchout ;).

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.