Re: magic file entry to understand core dumps

Alan Shutko (ats@shep1.wustl.edu)
Wed, 24 Jul 1996 19:53:25 -0500

A> Problem 1: "gdb" has trouble reading things from ELF core files,
A> and reports errors.

There were some problems with gdb loading core files. They were fixed
on a version released with Linux libc. I'm checking now if the GNU
4.16 has the patches merged in yet, but I do know there's a 4.16
binary on tsx-11 which you can use.

A> Solution 2: Add an entry to /etc/magic to allow "file" to decode an
A> ELF core file. This may not be possible, if "file" is too simple to
A> deal with the complexities of finding the executable name.

I am not sure that it is possible. I know that there isn't a simple
offset into the core file like there was in a.out... you might be able
to use an indirect offset, but I don't know enough about the core
format to do it.

--
Alan Shutko <ats@hubert.wustl.edu> - The Few, the Proud, the Remaining.
Old immortals never die. They...they just don't!