Re: Oops, 2.0.2, loading sound module

Sun, 7 Jul 1996 18:36:33 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 7 Jul 1996, Eric S. Mountain wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wasn't going to test 2.0.2 as it breaks supermount, but I thought I
> should ('cos of all the effort everyone puts in 'n' all) :) and here's
> my first Aiee - happened when loading the sound module (I have an
> SB16).
>
> It works OK with 2.0.0, dunno about 2.0.1. I don't think this has to
> do with insmod (from modules-2.0.0) as other modules load OK (e.g. ppp).
>
> 1. The Aieee - from syslog
[...]
> 2. Info from the oops:
> 2.1 ksymoops info
[...]
> 2.2 EIP lookup
> Uh sorry, don't get this bit:
> >From the oops I've got: EIP: 0010:[<0102cc20>]

ksymoops should do this for you (give it the whole oops if your not).

> In the output from "nm vmlinux | sort | less", do I try to find the 0010
> bit, or the 0102cc20? (I know I won't necessarily get a dead match).

the 0102cc20 bit

> If it's the long number, then I guess it's the old problem with
> debugging modules - i.e. it's not known where they're going to be put - as
> the address is higher than anything nm outputs.

Yep, it's the old problem, but if it happens every time, you can do use
the -m option of insmod to get the symbols to add to your System.map to
get the full trace.

> On the other hand, if it's the long number divided by 0x10, then:

nope, it's not that either.

> 3. My SB16 config (/etc/soundconf)
> /* Generated by configure. Don't edit!!!! */
> /* Making changes to this file is not as simple as it may look. */
>
> /* If you change the CONFIG_ settings in local.h you */
> /* _have_ to edit .defines too. */
>
> #undef CONFIG_PAS
> #define CONFIG_SB
> #undef CONFIG_ADLIB
> #undef CONFIG_GUS
> #undef CONFIG_MPU401
> #undef CONFIG_UART6850
> #undef CONFIG_PSS
> #undef CONFIG_GUS16
> #undef CONFIG_GUSMAX
> #undef CONFIG_MSS
> #undef CONFIG_SSCAPE
> #undef CONFIG_TRIX
> #undef CONFIG_MAD16
> #undef CONFIG_CS4232
> #undef CONFIG_MAUI
> #undef CONFIG_SPNP
> #undef CONFIG_UNUSED1
> #undef CONFIG_UNUSED2
> #undef CONFIG_AEDSP16
> #define CONFIG_AUDIO
> #define CONFIG_MIDI
> #define CONFIG_YM3812
>
> #undef CONFIG_MPU_EMU
> #undef CONFIG_AD1848
> #define CONFIG_SEQUENCER
>
> #define SBC_BASE 0x220
> #define SBC_IRQ 5
> #define SBC_DMA 1
> #define SB_DMA2 5
> #define SB_MPU_BASE 0x330
> #define DSP_BUFFSIZE 65536
> #define SELECTED_SOUND_OPTIONS 0x00a80002
>
> If I have time, I will try to recompile the kernel with sound "not as
> a module" and see...

Well if you must, but you can use 'insmod -m sound' ....

> Hope this helps, cheers, :E
> --
> Eric S. Mountain - eric@minouche.demon.co.uk
>
> It's a poor workman who blames his tools.

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.