Re: 2.0.1: /proc/meminfo wrong

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Thu, 4 Jul 1996 01:08:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 3 Jul 1996, Russell Berry wrote:

> I just noticed this same thing at work, I have 16Meg Ram, and it only
> says I have 14Meg. What's up???
> >
> > Look at the shared field of the following output. How can it be creater
> > than my total memory?

Where've you guys been? My systems always report a "total" RAM less than
installed RAM...I was under the impression that this "total" was the
amount of RAM available after the kernel has loaded.

My other impression was that the shared total is the total of all shared
memory in use by all processes...thus the same memory shared between
several processes is counted several times.

Maybe I'm wrong?

Jon Lewis | Mime attachments are OK
jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net | But please ask before sending
http://inorganic5.fdt.net | unsolicited huge files.