Re: Network performance

Wed, 3 Jul 1996 12:27:19 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 2 Jul 1996, Andrew C. Esh wrote:

> This is something that is done as part of the a.out -> ELF conversion
> process, among other things, and it seems to me that gnu cc knows
> about certain target tags and can use the appropriate libraries from
> their tagged directories. For instance, if you're running on an ELF
> machine, and want to compile and link an a.out executable, you can
> tell gcc about that target, and it will go find and link the a.out
> libraries. I haven't done much of this, so I can't be more certain.

No, it's not. gcc's just not dumb enough to try to link a.out binaries
against elf libs, so it keeps looking until it find's the a.out ones,
and would give you an error if it couldn't. It finds them because they
are in /etc/ld.so.conf, and consequently /etc/ld.so.cache (/lib &
/usr/lib are assumed as common places to keep libs).

> The library directory names I have seen used are i486-linux (ELF),
> i486-linuxaout (a.out), i486-unknown-linuxoldld, m68k-linuxaout,
> sparc-sun-solaris2, sparc-sun-sunos4.1, m68k-linux, and
> alpha-linux. I'm sure there are others.

Anything is fine, as long as you put it in /etc/ld.so.conf (and run
ldconfig), ld, and ld.so really couldn't care less where they are.

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.