Re: SCSI device numbering (was: Re: Ideas for v2.1

Lars Marowsky-Bree (lmb@pointer.in-minden.de)
Wed, 3 Jul 1996 07:58:26 +0200 (MET DST)

Chris Evans writes:

> I am currently running 2.0 + a patch of my own design which adds a
> (mode_t) variable to struct task. This variable represents the permission
> on a /proc/<pid> directory, and is changeable via chmod() by the owner of
> a given task. Works like a charm, a user does chmod og-rwx /proc/<pid>
> and the process magically disappers from all displays of ps/top/etc.
> executed by other users. Good for privacy. Option to use chmod on just
> the cmdline of a process is provided too.

I would really like this feature at least for root. I have always been
wondering why users should be able to trace and analyse root processes.

Of course, those /proc-access permissions need to be inherited by a forked
child.

--
Lars Marowsky-Bree   Voice: +49-571-63663   PGP-key avail. via server
HomePage: http://www.teuto.de/~lmb/    Mail: lmb@pointer.in-minden.de