RE: Freezing....

Derric Scott (dtscott@scott.net)
Tue, 2 Jul 1996 14:40:44 -0500 (CDT)

> davis@space.mit.edu (John E. Davis) writes:
> >On Thu, 27 Jun 1996 09:31:13 -0300 (EST), Isamar Maia <isamar@magiclink.com.br>
> >wrote:
> > : It's freezing online the the virtual console that I'm using at that
> >I have seen freezing with 2.0.0 as well. For example, I often run make
> >locally in X windows to an NSF mounted disk. The make process sometimes
> >freezes and does not repond to any signals generated from the keyboard (^Z,
> When I came home today, it had decided not to accept incoming connections
> anymore. The only way to get to a shell was via the vc, rlogin and telnet did
> nothing and ssh stopped after I entered a password. This was fixed after (yet
> another) reboot.
> The BBS that is listening on ports 23 and 1976 was behaving as normal though.

Don't know about the problems above, but this last is a "stuck pty" - what
pty did telnet report before it froze up? I've seen these all too frequently
in 1.3s and 2.0.0 kernels. Does anyone know how to unstick these besides
a re-boot? I vaguely remember something about echo'ing into the /proc
file system... ?

Currently I just force some process to hang on the port and just leave it
until the next reboot. You should then be able to get in on the next pty
(unless/until it freezes).

Derric

--
Derric Scott          Scott Network Services, Inc.         P. O. Box 361353
derric@scott.net           (205)987-5889               Birmingham, AL 35236