Re: Network performance

Colin Coghill (colin@inzo.co.nz)
Tue, 2 Jul 1996 14:39:04 +1200 (NZST)

On Sun, 30 Jun 1996, JF Martinez wrote:
> The system of privileged libraries is used in IBM's MVS (don't shoot,
> please) it would be nice to have it for SVGAlib games. Running suid
> root too much programs and specially games makes me nervous: it is an

Mmm, I'm in the process of porting a DOS file manager to Linux. I picked
SVGALIB (instead of X) because I wanted something lightweight that anyone
could run, forgetting at the time that it'd have to run suid root.

Needless to say, I'm having to change over to X. Which is a shame, and a
lot more work (which lowers the chances of me actually getting it finished),
but I know there's no way in hell *I'd* run a suid root file manager...

I suspect suid libraries are not a good solution, partly from the overhead,
but mainly from the problem of static linking.

Is it just the graphics hardware with this problem? (In which case GGI is
probably the best solution) Or are there other resources that need suid
root to access? (I think root-only access to ports < 1024 is still a good
thing)

- Colin

--
email  colin@inzo.co.nz       | "Don't worry.