Re: Problem with sound driver in 2.0.0

Matti E Aarnio (mea@mea.cc.utu.fi)
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 00:14:16 +0300 (EET DST)

Hannu Savolainen wrote:
> On 22 Jun 1996, Chris Adams wrote:
>
> > I am trying to use the sound driver in 2.0.0 with a ProAudio Spectrum 16
> > sound card, and it doesn't work. All I get is:
> >
> > Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?
>
> This is a generic error message which means that the driver didn't get
> interrupt from the device within a timeout interval. The most likely
> reason (99% of all cases) is some kind IRQ and/or DMA configuration problem.

I get this rather consistently after a moment of using the
audio -- both with SoundBlaster(Pro), and GUS PnP (GUS-MAX like)
(moment is anything in range of 1 DMA frame to some minutes of use;
I do always get one frame with the application.)

(Application: ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/networking/services/multicast/
LINUX/vatbin-4.0a2-linux.tar.gz )

On the other hand, when I feed an A-law compressed AU-file
to /dev/audio, it plays just fine.. (A 5-minute recording
ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/sounds/Finnish/Helsingius* was my
test case.)

> If you don't hear any sound, it's almost certainly some kind of DMA
> problem. However this should not be possible with other than jumper
> configurable cards.
>
> The other case is 0.5 to 1 seconds of sound in the beginning with SB/SB
> Pro or 10 seconds of _looping_ sound with other cards. This is caused by
> hardware level IRQ problems. For example the same IRQ is being used by
> some other device or the configured IRQ doesn't match jumpers.
>
> The third case could be called as "astrological" problems. The device
> works in most cases but then just stops working randomly. There are
> lots of possible reasons including hardware/driver/application bugs so
> giving an answer without knowing more details is impossible.

I will test this -- must get the "vat" to work at Linux-2.0.0.

/Matti Aarnio <mea@utu.fi> <mea@nic.funet.fi>