Re: Reproducible Oops's at startup

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 05:25:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 23 Jun 1996, Andrew E. Mileski wrote:

> > I have found a reproducible bug.
> > When I boot with a 2.0.0 kernel I get a few (eight) Oops's during startup.
> >
> > I'm running Debian 1.1 on a Cyrix 6x86 150+ (120 mhz) and a
>
> !!EVERYONE!! A suggestion: Add the processor type compiled for and
> detected to the boot messages.
>
> Response to 'bug': Did you compile for a 386? Compiling for a 486
> may work(??), but Pentium won't (Cyrix M1 != Pentium).
>
> --
> Andrew E. Mileski
> mailto:aem@ott.hookup.net My home page http://www.redhat.com/~aem/
> Linux Plug-and-Play Project Leader. See URL http://www.redhat.com/pnp/
>
> Red Hat Software sponsors these pages - I have no other affilitation
> with Red Hat Software, and I have never used any of their products.

Exactly what do you mean by detected? Is there detection in the kernel
messages or are they just "this-was-compiled-for-a"... I know you can set
what to compile for, but what is the authority on detecting CPU type?

__kmb203@psu.edu_________________________Debian__1.1___Linux__2.0.0___
You have new mail in /dev/null