Re: Boot Ideas, (Was Re:Boot messages.)

Eric Hoeltzel (erick@sequim.sequim.com)
Sat, 22 Jun 1996 11:12:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 21 Jun 1996, Jacob Praamsma wrote:

> Among the 350 or so e-mail messages I got today :<
> Someone wrote me that I they had read that ms-dos (Win95)
> stores it's boot screen in a file that's partially true! But the fact is,
> they tricked you!
>
> What happens is that after MS-DOS finds the partitons and
> mounts them (yes it does do that). It scans the root directory
> of all assigned drives, aside from A: and B:, for a file called Logo.sys
> this is a custom boot-image. However, if you format your hard drive
> and leave nothing on it, then reboot your system. You'll find that Windows
> still displays "Starting Windows 95" as a graphic! Hence it is inside IO.SYS
> and since it is 39K or so that is why IO.SYS is 250K

Well, for what it is worth, when I got my first copy of 95, I made a
hdimage with a 95 boot disk for my dosemu setup. Then I make a symlink
win96 --> dos so that I could type 'win95' from my bash prompt. This
floored a few people when I casually typed 'win95' then grumbled a bit
about it being so slow and switched away from it to X before it
dropped the graphic and went to a C: prompt. Hehe! This one high
school teacher couldn't believe his eyes, stood there gaping in
disbelief...

Eric Hoeltzel