Re: SCSI device numbering (was: Re: Ideas for v2.1

Remy Card (card@excalibur.ibp.fr)
Sat, 22 Jun 1996 14:55:23 +0200 (MET DST)

Andrew E. Mileski wrote:
> > Note that with the current system, there can be a maximum of 16 disk
> > drives (since 16 * 16 partitions = 256 = max minor number). Clearly a larger
> > dev_t is needed, no matter how we do it. We need to somehow agree on how
> > large this needs to be, and *then* we need to fix the filesystems so that
> > they store a dev_t that is this large.
>
> Personally I find moving to a 64-bit (or whatever) dev_t a silly issue
> to squabble over. Just do it already! :-) If we need a new fs type
> like ext3, then LET'S GET ON WITH IT! Sheesh! :-)

Well, as far as the dev_t storage by the filesystem is concerned, there
is absolutely no problem with ext2 if dev_t becomes 64 bits long. Actually,
dev_t could become as large as 480 bits long before the filesystem has
to be modified :-)

Remy