Re: Undelete in user space

Thu, 20 Jun 1996 23:50:45 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 20 Jun 1996, Rogier Wolff wrote:
> Linus' opinion on "what goes into the kernel and what doesn't" is
> that what CAN be done in userspace, should go in userspace.

I though that Linus' oppinion of what goes in the kernel goes more allong
the lines of what can be done more easly where. Most everything could be
done in userspace, and Linux would be a microkernel, it's not, and it
does lots in kernelspace. For example Linus thinks that unionfs can be
done more easly in userspace (The person that was devloping it in the
kernel was having a hell of a time, it was called ifs btw).

> MOST users won't want this undelete stuff. If they DO, then they
> should configure the extra libc-with-undelete.whatever.

Never wanted to undelete a file ever, never deleted a file, then realised
that you didn't want to do that ? Then you won't, but there are a lot of
people that have done things like that, me included.

> That libc should also provide a symbol called for example
> "real_unlink" to use the system call....
>
> Roger.
Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.