Re: A Humble Suggestion for 2.0/2.1

Eric Schenk (schenk@cs.toronto.edu)
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 11:05:37 -0400

Todd Graham Lewis <tlewis@mindspring.com> writes:
>Good or bad, BSD does
>twice the packets per second that Linux does, and it is a more logical
>choice for a PC-based router. (This is not to slight any of the
>networking crew for Linux; Van Jacobson is a hard act to follow, and no
>one expects that we will surpass BSD overnight. Everyone expects that
>we will eventually, but that's a different post.)

I'm not going to step into the ET war per se, but I would like
to bring this point out a bit. Certainly with 1.2.13 the Linux
networking code just didn't keep up with BSD. But, the networking
code has undergone a lot of work since then. Is it in fact still
the case that BSD does any better than Linux as a network router?
Has anyone tested this out against 2.0 yet?

Certainly the TCP stack now has all of the Jacobson algorithms that BSD has,
as well as a few performance tuning algorithms that BSD does not.

Some hard numbers might be worth publicizing on this list.
If we don't beat BSD yet, we should know about it so we can fix it.
If we do beat BSD, then we should know about that too, if only so
we can dispell claims that Linux isn't up to serious networking
applications.

-- eric

Eric Schenk www: http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~schenk
Department of Computer Science email: schenk@cs.toronto.edu