Re: 2.0 ethX bogus packet size messages ...

Rogier Wolff (r.e.wolff@et.tudelft.nl)
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 14:19:36 +0200

Paul Gortmaker wrote:

> > Also note correct oversized packets dumped onto a network break certain
> > well known vendors 8390 based drivers.
>
> And some 2Mbit WAN links, or so I was told.... B-)
>
> Well, as things stand, with linux-8390 and a too-large MTU, the packets
> actually *do* hit the wire. (The linux 8390 drivers only moan when Rx'ing
> them.) I haven't investigated what other linux drivers & NICs do when
> asked to spit out a giant bogon. They may grenade rather un-gracefully,
> or simply send the packet as asked, just like the 8390 cards do.

I looked into the EtherExpress 16 intel ethernet card driver a while
ago. As far as I can see, the card might overwrite the in place
RX-buffer ring when a too-large packet comes in....

I'd count that as "grenade rather ungracefully" ;-)

Roger.

--
 ** Q: What's the difference between MicroSoft Windows and a virus?       **
 ** A: Apart from the fact that virusses install easier, none.            **