Re: Boot messages (Was: Re: Ideas for v2.1)

Wed, 19 Jun 1996 01:38:27 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Matt Hawkins wrote:

> Hate to sound stupid, but just how is lilo going to go about displaying
> graphical images? Are we going to put graphics support into lilo? Do
> you think that's going to fit into the MBR or superblock? And what about
> those ppl who don't use lilo?
>
> -- Matt

You sound stupid, all the lilo loader in the MBR/superblock/.... does is
load the second stage loader off disk, which load's the kernel or other
OS (dos/os2/win95/winNT/...).

It could just as easly load a second stage loader that know's some stuff
about how to detect a vga display, how to put it in some basic graphic
mode, and stick up a low res image up during boot, after which the kernel
would reset it (from video.S or some such place, video.S could include code
that resets the vga to textmode).
Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.