Re: Boot messages (Was: Re: Ideas for v2.1)

Terry Dawson (terry@perf.no.itg.telecom.com.au)
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 12:21:59 +1000

Dwight Hubbard wrote:

> > Do you think that's going to fit into the MBR or
> > superblock? And what about those ppl who don't use lilo?
>
> Well, the kernel doesn't fit into the MBR or Superblock either. I
> imagine the graphic image could be loaded in a similar manner.

Wouldn't all of this more sensibly be done as the first step
after init is spawned as part of the system boot (as opposed to
the kernel boot) ? It would be much more easily addressed there,
would be completely independent of boot loaders, the kernel and
the type of graphics cards installed. Perhaps I'm missing the point.

Terry