Re: 2.2.0 wishlist

Michael Neuffer (neuffer@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de)
Mon, 17 Jun 1996 10:20:42 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 16 Jun 1996, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > There is already a project working on ISA PnP.
> > Say, isn't PnP made to for specific motherboards (read x86) and operating
> > system (read Windows 95)?
> >
> > Whatever happened to idea that I can buy one card that works for Mac,
> > Alpha, Sparc, Pentium, PowerPC, etc, etc, etc,???? Reminds me of PCI.
> > Don't you think PCI Pnp beats the purpose of PCI?
>
> PCI is plug and play (near enough) already. You just haven't been counting
> the number of jumpers you set on PCI cards 8)

Did you ever try to boot off a PCI SCSI controller with a BIOS/firmware
for i86 in a MIPS or Alpha machine ?

That works only with very few controllers/motherboard combinations.

Mike

Michael Neuffer i-Connect.Net, a Division of iConnect Corp.
mike@i-Connect.Net 13455 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 140
503.677.2900 Beaverton, OR 97008

"Linux was made by foreign terrorists to take money from true US
companies like Microsoft." -- Some AOL'er.