Re: 2.2.0 wishlist

Albert Cahalan (albert@ccs.neu.edu)
Sun, 16 Jun 1996 23:27:35 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Eric Schenk" <schenk@cs.toronto.edu>

> One thing I'd like to see by 2.2.0 is a bit of clean up in
> the various include files that migrate into user space
> through libc. In particular inline code and internal kernel
> data structures should be wrapped in #ifdef __KERNEL__/#endif pairs.

It might be cleaner if the kernel include files and the /usr/include
include files both included a set of common include files. That gets
rid of all the #ifdef mess for good. The separation would keep the
problems from creeping back in.

Maybe change to having /usr/src/linux/include/private and
/usr/src/linux/include/public, with /usr/include/linux as a
symlink to /usr/src/linux/public. Get rid of /usr/src/include/linux
to catch mistakes. (something like that, my Linux box is at home)