Re: SCSI Woes

Sun, 16 Jun 1996 16:59:16 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Scott T. Miller wrote:
[...]
> Also, is 7.5M big for an uncompressed, running kernel? When I first
> login as root, before I fire up X or anything else, free tells me that
> over 7M are being used. I only have 16M total. Is this excessive?

Yes, masive, considering that your uncompressed kernel can't be that big
(look at the size of /usr/src/linux/vmlinux, if you compiled it your
self, mine is 641kb, but only has ext2fs, ide disks, and compiled in
only drivers, everything else is modules ;).

All the rest of the memory used is being used by running
programs, and disk caches/buffers (up to 0 free memory, rember free
memory is waisted memory), everything that was run to start your box will
be in memory until you've filled it up, after that, up to date buffers are
simply droped (a couple of pages at a time as and when the need
arrises).

The only thing that's actually swaped to disk is that which
can't be gotten back (ie data), everything else can be recovered from
disk is just droped, eg why swap disk buffers to disk ?, or why swap a
program to disk, when you can just demand load it back from the disk ?

> Thanks,
> Scott Miller
> stmiller@crosslink.net

Bryn

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :(                          |            initiated.