Re: 2.2.0 wishlist

Olaf Erb (erb@inss1.etec.uni-karlsruhe.de)
15 Jun 1996 13:41:52 GMT

In article <199606140912.KAA05305@snowcrash.cymru.net>,
Alan Cox <alan@cymru.net> wrote:
>> * Swap files over NFS (for diskless workstations)
>
>The lowest level work to enable us to sidestep some of the deadlock cases
>for this is ready for 2.0. We may manage this in 2.1. However I'd buy a disk
>they are so cheap NFS swapping is a bad plan.

That's absolutely right, but for a quick and dirty setup where performance
isn't important it's a nice solution (e.g. a modem/isdn router, or a
public terminal for database-access). It's a bulletproof setup where
people can even slam the table without causing a headcrash :-)
And they even can't steal the disc.

73
Olaf

! dc1ik@bofh.ampr.org - erb@inss1.etec.uni-karlsruhe.de ! Finger me for !