Re: your mail

lilo (TaRDiS@mail.utexas.edu)
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 12:01:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Andrew C. Esh wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> If we split the source into separate distributions, then we stand the
> chance that someone will mismatch them. It would also be nice to have
> one central point which acts as root for the kernel mirroring tree,
> rather then one set of mirrors for the non-architecture source, and
> another (possibly less reliable) tree for each architecture
> portion. This may be fine for development groups, who are in-the-know,
> but it works against our popularity with the search-clueless general
> public.

Conceptually, it should be one distribution, with several source tar files.
Each tar file should contain the same version number in the name. If you
want the complete distribution, untar them all in /usr/src. But you should
be able to untar, for example, just:

linux-unarch-2.1.5.tar.gz
linux-i386-2.1.5.tar.gz

and get a complete source tree for i386 (substitute the architecture tree of
your choice). It seems straightforward enough, and it's all in how you tar
up the complete release.

lilo