Re: Ideas for v2.1

DUPRE Christophe (duprec@jsp.umontreal.ca)
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 14:07:41 -0400 (EDT)

On 13 Jun 1996, Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:

> So, lets see, how it is currently:
>
> I have
>
> /dev/hda -> IDE
> /dev/sda -> SCSI ID0
> /dev/sdb -> SCSI ID3
> /dev/sdc -> SCSI ID4
> /dev/sdd -> SCSI ID5
>
> Now I remove SCSI ID3. 'drive does not spin underwater error'
>
> /dev/sda -> SCSI ID0
> /dev/sdb -> SCSI ID4
> /dev/sdc -> SCSI ID5
>
> :-(
>
> Not too different from the scheme you criticized above. But it is
> already in there. And IMHO it sucks. :-(

Agreed, but at least in the current scheme if the problem is a SCSI disk,
then IDE disk numbering is unaffected. If the problem is a IDE disk, then
SCSI disk numbering is unaffected.

What should be done IMHO is a device which described the type,
controller nb, drive nb, paritition nb, ala sysV (I think). This way, no
confusion possible.

Christophe Dupre Universite de Montreal
Internet: duprec@jsp.umontreal.ca Qc, Canada
Montreal, Qc, Canada
"Nous ne sommes pas libres de ne pas etre libres, nous sommes obliges de
l'etre" - Fernando Savater

-- Geek Code 2.1 --
GCS d-- H+ s:++ g+ !p au-* a19 w+ v+ C++(+++) UIL++>+++ P+>++ L++
3- E---- N++ K W- M- V-- Y+ t++ 5++ !j R+ G- tv b++

#include <disclaimer.h>