Re: 2.2.0 wishlist

Cerberus (cerberus@ginch.dial.umd.edu)
Thu, 13 Jun 1996 18:07:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, Anders Broberg wrote:

> I'm sorry if I have missed something as I am a quite new reader of
> this mailinglist, but something that i would like to see in future
> versions of the kernel is support for the NTFS file system. I have
> searched for utilities for lhe current kernel, but the oly ones I
> have found mounts NTFS read-only.

[This is 3rd hand info, someone please set the record straight if I am
wrong.]

I think you may have a tough time finding that. Supposedly, NTFS is a c1
(supposedly soon to be c2) secure file system, which means that no OS
except for NT is supposed to be able to read/write from it. I heard that
MS is considering legal action against the guy who wrote the NTFS-read
stuff for linux, since the code was copywrite or some such.

I personally think the only way a micro$oft operating/file system will be
secure is to turn the computer off. In my opinon, this doesn't change
the amount of usefullness versus when the machine is turned on.
:-)

-dave

--
cerberus@ginch.dial.umd.edu, cerb@glue.umd.edu