Re: Ideas for v2.1

Robert L Krawitz (rlk@tiac.net)
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 20:11:44 -0400

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 19:40:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: DUPRE Christophe <duprec@JSP.UMontreal.CA>

> Well, for that matter if you remove the first IDE disk in the current
> setup you'll screw up your partitions, too. Maybe we need to go to a

Not really : the IDE controller shouldn't accept a slave disk if there's
no corresponding master. Even if it doesn't, hdb will stay hdb because
hdb is the slave disk on the primary controller.

You might have multiple IDE controllers.

With SCSI, you can play with the IDs to decide in which order the disks
appear.

Suppose you have SCSI disks at 0, 1, 2, and 3. Suppose the disk at ID
0 dies. You really don't want the other disks to be renumbered.

--
Robert Krawitz <rlk@tiac.net>           http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@uunet.uu.net Tall Clubs International -- tci-request@aptinc.com or 1-800-521-2512