Re: ld.so-1.8.0 and make problems

Matty (matt@blitzen.canberra.edu.au)
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 02:39:25 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 11 Jun 1996, METU-Math (TURKEY) wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have just upgraded; in fact tried to apply the Changes. Everyting
> was ok until I have upgraded ld.so to ld.so-1.8.0
> When I try to make something such as kernel and try make dep I get an
> error message of
> make: *** No rule to make target `dep'. Stop.
> even if I try to specify the Makefile nothing changes...
>
> Here are some versions:
> gcc 2.7.2
> libc.so.5.3.12
> libg++.so.27.1.4
> ld version cygnus/linux-2.5.21.17 (with BFD cygnus/linux-2.5.21.11)

Looks like an old binutils - you need least binutils-2.6.0.12 (read the
release notes to libc) But the problem with make is most likely the old
d->namlen bug that was fixed in libc-5.3.x (read the release notes to
libc)

What you need to do is get the sources to GNU make, apply the patch at the
end of the release notes for libc (read the release notes to libc) and
recompile make.

Oh, and while your at it, a not so subtle hint is to read the release
notes to libc :)

-- Matt
| -* Mostly Harmless ! *- | @~/ ,. \~@ / \/\ ,'Don't Panic|