Re: Zen Penguin on Endorphins (Was: Kernel Naming Society..)

lilo (TaRDiS@mail.utexas.edu)
Sun, 9 Jun 1996 21:57:53 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 9 Jun 1996, Shinanyaku wrote:

> lilo was heard saying ....
> >
> > Hmmm, check out the `totem' package,
>
> Interesting. I was wondering when we would have driver authors competing.
> But little did I know that the first fight over "mine" or
> "yours" would be with the now infamous "animals" patch.
>
> > In addition, it's a very well-documented example of how to write a small
> > kernel module with a /proc interface, and it logs a tasteful one-line header
> > when it comes up.... :)
>
> Ah! But has it been fully tested with kerneld yet? Since I only use
> the /proc file when my system boots (my rc files re-create my
> /etc/issue upon boot), I don't want it hanging around soaking up that
> 1-2K. After all, with 128MB and a 192MB swap partition, I need every K
> I can scrounge.*

You know, I honestly have no clue. This might actually be the excuse I've
needed to try kerneld. :)

I can also reduce the size somewhat. Almost to half I think. However, I'll
need a *little* more space when I add the ascii art support.... :)

> But you know, there was a thread sometime ago about keeping the ext
> file system still in place. Basically it was to show a simple
> example. Well, if indeed this is a VERY simple module (using
> up-to-date methods, etc...), we might want to think about including it
> simply for demonstration purposes.

Well, I think this serves as a better demonstration when it doesn't come out
with the kernel proper.... ``This is how you set up an independent module''
kind of thing. I'd rather not make such a silly application an integral
part of the kernel, then someone has to maintain it there forever, and lord
knows we have enough kernel source tree bloat as it is....

> Either way, I've had this sucker in place since it came out ... ;)

Well, good. :)

lilo