Re: Errors from pre2.0.14.

SouL THieF (root@falcon.netrom.com)
Sun, 9 Jun 1996 18:45:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 9 Jun 1996, Richard Neal G. Plana wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Jun 1996 jerijian@seas.ucla.edu wrote:
>
> > Do you see what you get if you don't RTFM before upgrading
> > from 1.2.13 to the latest pre2.0? More to come below...
> >
> > > Going multiuser...
> > > SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> > > SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
> > > SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
> > > Starting daemons: syslogd klogd portmap inetd lpd
> > > fcntl_setlk() called by process 47 (lpd) with broken flock() emulation
> > > fcntl_setlk() called by process 49 (lpd) with broken flock() emulation
> > > Starting sendmail daemon (/usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q 15m)...
> > > fcntl_setlk() called by process 57 (agetty) with broken flock() emulation
> > > fcntl_setlk() called by process 56 (agetty) with broken flock() emulation
> > > fcntl_setlk() called by process 60 (agetty) with broken flock() emulation
>
> > FAQ #1: To get rid of those messages, please upgrade to libc-5.2.18
> > for ELF and libc-4.7.6 for a.out and recompile all of your statically
> > linked binaries. Slackware 3.0 is old stuff you know (that's why I use
> > Red Hat 3.0.3, which has a good user base and developer support, as
> > well as readily-available contrib RPMs for Red Hat to work with the
> > newest kernels. He he.).
>
> That might explain the broken flock() message for agetty, but I compiled
> my kernel (ELF) using libc-5.2.18 and I still got a broken flock() message
> while running lpd.
>
> On the side:
>
> With the new kernels and using the 'w' command, my friends and I can't
> seem to determine what the last command passed to the shell was by users
> (under the heading What). All we'd get was a dash (-) and we certainly
> weren't 'su'ed.
>
> Also with the new kernels (1.3.95+), 'top' would result in the following:
>
> 9:44pm up 20 min, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
> 28 processes: 0 sleeping, 0 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped
> CPU states: 0.9% user, 0.0% system, 0.9% nice, 99.1% idle
> Mem: 0K av, 0K used, 0K free, 0K shrd, 0K buff
> Swap: 0K av, 0K used, 0K free
>
> Floating point exception
>

> I'd go and get a new version of top to try and see if it was just a bug
> in the older version, but I don't know where to get a hold of the source.
> Anyone?
>

> Richard Neal G. Plana
> richip@tridel.com.ph

if you went on http://netrom.com/~soul BEFORE you upgraded you wouldn't
have these problems but now you got em so go on http://netrom.com/~soul
to get rid of them... for the ps and top you need procps which is on my
web page and if you don't have the versions running that the page says
you need upgrade them too so you don'y run into MORE problems.
Mike Liberatore **** REPLY TO soul@netrom.com ****
soul@netrom.com
http://netrom.com/~soul