Problem: how to identify source code points for latency profiling

Ingo Molnar (mingo@kaliban.csoma.elte.hu)
Sun, 9 Jun 1996 23:10:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 9 Jun 1996, Alan Cox wrote:

> > what is the point of using __inline__ functions ...
> >
> > __inline__ void foo( arg ) {
>
> Arg is evaluated once. You don't get burned by nasty macro expansion
> side effects (especially since we nest inlines 3 deep in places).

i will use the IP pointer instead of __FILE__ and __LINE__ then, as a
global identifier for source code points. It's more robust anyways.

about transforming IP values (code addresses) into symbols later:

i guess line info is lost or hard to recover. I can do function name
matching, based on the symbol map [like readprofile], but this isnt enough
for identifying cli()-s and sti()-s in most cases :((

so this looks like trouble :( IP values are not human readable enough

-- mingo