Re: 1.99.14 & duplicate NE2000

DUPRE Christophe (duprec@jsp.umontreal.ca)
Sun, 9 Jun 1996 02:18:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 8 Jun 1996, Lauri Tischler wrote:

> Anno Domini 8 Jun 96 at 20:56, Herbert Rosmanith wrote:
> > happens with 1.99.14:
> >
> > kernel = monolithic, nearly every software compiled in. however, from a
> > previous compile, there are still /lib/modules/1.99.14/* left over
> >
> > at booting, a NE2000 (the only network-card in the system!) is reported as:
> >
> > > ne.c:v1.10 9/23/94 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
> > > NE*000 ethercard probe at 0x340: 00 00 e8 c6 d1 1f
> > > eth0: NE2000 found at 0x340, using IRQ 15.
> >
> [..snip...>
>
> Look's like you are trusting on 'linux plug-and-play', autoprobing
> and hopefull automagical configuration of hardware.
>
> It does not work, not on Win95, not on Linux, not on PC hardware..
> Stupid hardware can not read your thoughts, unfortunately..

Unfortunately, jumping your hardware is less and less possible with PCI &
Plug'n Play.

But so far I've not been having any problem with my hardware, even with
my SB16-compatible PnP card, which is detected AND correctly initialized.

As for Herbert's problem, I just can't see what's the point of insmod'ing
a module with the io of an already detected & used card... I guess the
driver should remember the io range as being already used, but doing this
is asking for trouble...

> If you want _exact_ results, jumper your hardware properly and
> then give this particular info on each and every load and
> configuration command you use. DO NOT TRUST on any automagigal
> autoprobings..

Christophe Dupre Universite de Montreal
Internet: duprec@jsp.umontreal.ca Qc, Canada
Montreal, Qc, Canada
"Nous ne sommes pas libres de ne pas etre libres, nous sommes obliges de
l'etre" - Fernando Savater

-- Geek Code 2.1 --
GCS d-- H+ s:++ g+ !p au-* a19 w+ v+ C++(+++) UIL++>+++ P+>++ L++
3- E---- N++ K W- M- V-- Y+ t++ 5++ !j R+ G- tv b++

#include <disclaimer.h>