Re: SVGA kernel chipset drivers.

Kenneth Albanowski (kjahds@kjahds.com)
Thu, 6 Jun 1996 16:36:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jun 1996, Albert Cahalan wrote:
>
> > One problem with usermode graphics is the kernel oops while in
> > graphics mode. If the problem is at all disk related, then you will
> > never see the oops.
>
> you can make "Oops" fall back to textmode (well if this fails then we are
> in deep trouble :)

And that's where we came in. The kernel simply cannot switch back to text
mode without having complete knowledge about the video card.

For Oopses and the boot log to go to a graphics console, that graphics
drivers would have to be as easily accessed from within the kernel as the
text console or the serial drivers are.