Re: majordomo problems?

Kevin M Bealer (kmb203@psu.edu)
Tue, 4 Jun 1996 17:19:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Hartmut Niemann wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl -----
>
> [snip..]
>
> But can anybody explain why the linux-kernel mailing list
> (that has so much traffic that not many people will like to get it
> in their mailbox) and the linux.dev.kernel newsgroup
> (that is `nonstandard' and not carried at many sites)
> aren't replaced by comp.os.linux.development.kernel ?
(clip)

I would not mind a newsgroup as an alternative. However email at my site is
much more reliable than news. In general email is a more broad based
environment, less expensive resource-wise, etc, and is thus more available.
My newsserver is (IMHO) not well tended, throttling messages all the time
etc. -- others may be in a similar circumstance.

Also "junk" email is one thing... putting a list on a newsgroup would (IMHO)
decrease the signal/noise ratio quite a bit.

__kmb203@psu.edu_________________________Debian__1.1___Linux__1.99.7___
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)