Re: CONFIG_RANDOM (compromise?)

Hartmut Niemann (niemann@cip.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de)
Mon, 3 Jun 1996 16:11:37 +0200 (MSZ)

Dear Lauri,
you wrote:
> On Fri, 24 May 1996, Martin.Dalecki wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 May 1996, Herbert Rosmanith wrote:
[snip]
> > > all right then. I really have no need for /dev/random. Anyone else ?
> > >
> > Personaly I have no need for it too.
> >
> If we go on dropping off useless stuff there are a _lot_ of candidates
> from me...
> - dec alpha stuff
> - mips stuff
> - amiga stuff
> - ide disks
> - all cdroms exept scsi
> - ftape
> I DONT NEED THEM so ergo they are useless. :)
>
> Lauri Tischler Network Admin -- email = ltischler@efore.fi --
> EFORE Oy
> P.O. Box 61 02211 Espoo High Quality Switching Power Supplies
> FINLAND for Telecom, Medical, Automation and Defence

but you missed one point here. Having to download it is one thing, having
to compile it another, having it in the kernel memory a third, having to run it a fourth.

(1) As what you mentioned is in the kernel distrib, this has now close to
4 disks - well, I don't mind too much.
(2) I never tried to compile the DEC stuff
(3) I threw away all CDrom support I don't need - it's optional, so I said NO!

(4) Can't we make /dev/random an option for those who need it? Just like
IPX and IP filtering stuff my standalone LINUX box will never need?

BTW: even parallel printer support is an option, and it is turned off by default ;-)

+--+ Hartmut

--
Hartmut Niemann
niemann@cip.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de
Zum Aussichtsturm 18  D-91080 Marloffstein