Re: SVGA kernel chipset drivers.

Andrew Walker (andy@lysaker.kvaerner.no)
Mon, 3 Jun 1996 14:29:23 +0200 (MET DST)

Jon M. Taylor wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > Are you really that dense?
>
> Calm down. This isn't imporant enough of an isse

Yeah, but how many hundreds of messages do we have to endure.......?

> > We HAVE a uniform graphics API already. It's called X.
>
> X is a GUI. A graphics API does things like individual pixel
> writes, line- and shape-drawing primtives, stroked font support
> (sometimes), and provides hooks to acceleration features like blitting.
> A GUI does windows, menus, higher-level display management primitives,
> mouse support, etc.

Get real - Xlib *is* an API. No question about it. It provides all
the primitives you want, and imposes no look&feel policy. A GUI
it is not.

-Andy

--
Andy Walker                              Kvaerner Engineering a.s.
Andrew.Walker@lysaker.kvaerner.no        P.O. Box 222, N-1324 Lysaker, Norway

......if the answer isn't violence, neither is your silence......